Fairfield’s Historic Properties
Several sites of historical interest are located close by to the Fairfield Museum, many on the Historic Town Green, and date back to Fairfield’s colonial roots. The 1750 Ogden House is owned and operated by the Fairfield Museum. The other properties listed are owned by the Town of Fairfield and managed by the Fairfield Museum for the benefit of the community.
The 1750 Ogden House (1520 Bronson Road)–This saltbox built in 1750 is owned and operated by the Fairfield Museum. The displays of period objects and furnishings, from the Fairfield Museum’s collections, illustrate how a middle class family lived in the 18th century. The property also features a kitchen garden featuring plants and herbs that were typically grown during the Colonial period and examples of colonial bee skeps. Click here for the Google Map.
Bronson Windmill (2963 Bronson Road)–This 1893 structure, built to supply water to Frederic Bronson’s estate and farm, is now the site of Fairfield Country Day School.
Click here for the Google Map.
The Burr Homestead (739 Old Post Road)–Rebuilt in 1790 by Thaddeus Burr after the original house was burned by the British during the war, the Burr Homestead was one of Fairfield’s premier cultural and social centers. A hub of activity from its 18th century origins to present day, this historic 10-room mansion also features a reflecting pool and “garden walk,” attracting visitors in all four seasons for community events, private parties and seasonal fundraisers. Rent the Burr Homestead for your wedding or event.
Sun Tavern (One Town Hall Green)–The 1780 tavern was the site of a much-celebrated visit from President George Washington. A lively establishment, it provided food, drink, and lodging for travelers and those who came to do business at the county courthouse also located on the Green. It became a private residence for ministers, businessmen, and a New York City actor who made it his summer getaway.
Powder House (230 Unquowa Road)–Tucked behind Tomlinson Middle School, this stone structure was built in 1814 to store ammunition in case of British attacks during the War of 1812.
Victorian Cottage and Barn (Two and Three Town Hall Green)–These two “Carpenter Gothic” structures served as a gardener’s quarters and tool storage. Plans are underway to transform the cottage into an interactive learning space for children, while the barn will continue to house the museum’s collection of antique and modern tools.