Do you want to research family history, find photographs of local people and places, discover historic buildings, conduct research in our rich manuscript collections, or learn more about daily life in the past? Join other visitors from the Fairfield County area and from all over the country who come to the library to conduct their research and learn about all aspects of life in Fairfield from colonial times to the present. Researchers of all ages and interest levels are welcome. Our attractive reading room offers a quiet place to read or examine materials, and the library staff is ready to help you find what you are looking for.
Click below for more information about the following:
- Historic houses in the Old Post Road area – Google Map
- Historic mural restoration, Old Black Rock Harbor, 1810
- Database of enslaved people and owners in Fairfield
- Gustave Whitehead and the Wright brothers.
- Materials on African-Americans in the Fairfield area
- Materials on women’s history in the Fairfield area
- Materials on the history of Black Rock
- Old Burying Ground cemetery – Google map showing some of the grave sites of historical figures
Hours: Wednesday-Saturday: 10am-4pm
Hours are subject to change.
We request that you please schedule an appointment at least three days in advance by completing this form.
Use of the Fairfield Museum’s Library is free for Museum members. Non-members are asked to pay a $5 admission fee.
A self-service photocopier is available for our registered patrons in the library lobby. Please refer to the posted fees and guidelines about which materials may be copied. For other materials, we offer scanning services (see details here).
The library provides outlets and wifi access for researchers bringing their own laptops or devices.
The Fairfield Museum’s Library policy and procedures are as follows:
- The library is open to researchers by appointment only.
- The library is limited to two researchers at a time.
- All research appointments are limited to 1 hour and 45 minute intervals, with no more than two intervals per day, per person. Intervals are required to allow ample time for cleaning.
- Guests are requested to remain in their designated research space.
- All research materials will be retrieved by the librarian.
- The librarian will also assist with any duplication, photocopying, or scanning of items. The copier and scanner are not for public use.
- The librarian will disinfect all items and materials after each use.
- Hand sanitizer will be available for use. All researchers must wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before entering and leaving the library.
- All medically able visitors over the age of two are required to properly wear a face mask at all times while inside the Fairfield Museum’s library. If a guest does not have a face mask, a disposable one will be provided for $1. Fairfield Museum does recognize that not all guests are medically able to wear a mask that complies with this mandate, and our staff may make minimal exceptions to this requirement on a case-by-case basis. Guests unable to wear a mask will be required to maintain a minimum six-foot distance from all other Museum visitors and staff.
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your assistance and we look forward to seeing you.
If you are unable to conduct your research in person, or if you need in-depth assistance, you may request our research service. Fees for this service are $20/hour for non-members; museum members receive 10 hours of research assistance annually. Please contact us with your research requests.