Do you want to research family history, find photographs of local people and places, discover historic buildings, conduct research in our rich manuscript collections, or learn more about daily life in the past? Join other visitors from the Fairfield County area and from all over the country who come to the library to conduct their research and learn about all aspects of life in Fairfield from colonial times to the present. Researchers of all ages and interest levels are welcome. Our attractive reading room offers a quiet place to read or examine materials, and the library staff is ready to help you find what you are looking for.
Click below for more information about the following:
- Historic houses in the Old Post Road area – Google Map
- Historic mural restoration, Old Black Rock Harbor, 1810
- Database of enslaved people and owners in Fairfield
- Gustave Whitehead and the Wright brothers.
- Materials on African-Americans in the Fairfield area
- Materials on women’s history in the Fairfield area
- Materials on the history of Black Rock
- Old Burying Ground cemetery – Google map showing some of the grave sites of historical figures
Hours: Wednesday-Friday: 10am-4pm Saturday: 12pm-4pm Hours are subject to change.
Please contact us ahead of time to make an appointment, by calling (203) 259-1598 or using our contact form.
Use of the Fairfield Museum’s Library is free for Museum members. Non-members are asked to pay a $5 admission fee.
All visitors are asked to fill out the registration form and observe the rules for use of materials. A self-service photocopier is available for our registered patrons in the library lobby. Please refer to the posted fees and guidelines about which materials may be copied. For other materials, we offer scanning services (see details here). Check with the librarian about photography policies. Computer Access The library provides outlets and wifi access for researchers bringing their own laptops or devices.
If you are unable to conduct your research in person, or if you need in-depth assistance, you may request our research service. Fees for this service are $20/hour for non-members; museum members receive 10 hours of research assistance annually. Please contact us with your research requests.