Consider joining the Fairfield Museum team as a docent!
Are you a lifelong learner with a passion for sharing history with your community?
The Fairfield Museum is recruiting a new class of docents, and trained volunteer educators who present guided tours and education programs to K-12 students and adults. The docent program is both intellectually stimulating and socially rewarding and includes courses, readings, and discussions on topics in American History. Whether you’ve lived here for many years or you are new to the area, discover the rewards of sharing the rich history of our town to students, families and adults.
We need docents to help in the following areas:
- Giving tours of the 1750 Ogden House on Sunday afternoons between Memorial Day and Labor Day
- Helping to open up the Museum Commons from June through August by giving tours of the Sun Tavern (c. 1780) and Victorian Barn (1888)
- Leading art and history-related activities for families at the Victorian Cottage
- During the school year, leading interactive tours for K-12 students at the Museum
What is the commitment?
- Attend training sessions & quarterly meetings
- Successfully complete a practice tour
- Be able to walk and stand for the length of tours; up to 1.5 hours. Some historical buildings are not physically accessible.
- Read and study materials on history and education
- Commit to at least 2 or more volunteer shifts per month
What skills do I need?
- A love of history and learning
- Good communication and public speaking skills
- Good listening skills
- Tolerance and respect for others
Docent training is both intellectually stimulating and socially rewarding and includes readings and discussions on various topics in American history and history education. Docents also volunteer assistance at programs, attend lectures presented by scholars, and participate in teacher workshops. Whether you’ve lived here for many years or you are new to the area, discover the rewards of sharing the rich history of our town and region with students, families, and adults!
To apply, please fill out this form. Staff will follow up with more information after we receive the applications.
Docent Materials & Guides
Below is a list of helpful resources related to the history of Fairfield. While this has been compiled for use by our docents and volunteers, the information is available for anyone interested.
DOCENT GUIDE: Sun Tavern
Exhibit script and information on the East Parlor/Tavern Room, 1st Floor, and Upstairs Chamber
DOCENT GUIDE: Sun Tavern / Seeking Justice
Exhibit script on the “Seeking Justice” area in West Parlor, 1st Floor
Museum Commons– Summer Guide for Docents
A variety of informative material to help guide your journey and prepare you for your job as a docent.
Focus on Community:
- “Exploring My Town”– Download/View Here >>
- “Creating Community” Scavenger Hunt: Download/View Here >>
- Scavenger Hunt Chaperone Guide (with answer key): Download/View Here >>