Old Black Rock Harbor Mural
|Long term exhibit|
In 1948, renowned Connecticut muralist Robert Lambdin completed an 8’ x 20’ mural for the Black Rock Bank and Trust Co. located on the corner of Fairfield Ave and Brewster Street in Bridgeport. During the 1930s and 40s, Lambdin had been one of Connecticut’s most sought-after muralists, winning several commissions through Works Progress Administration to depict American life in public buildings such as libraries, schools, and post offices. A few remaining examples of Lambdin’s art have been preserved in Westport and are highly valued today. In 2017, renovations began on the long-abandoned Black Rock Bank building, and the mural, which had been damaged through years of neglect, was rescued and donated to the Fairfield Museum. The careful restoration of this rare icon of Black Rock’s maritime history was conducted by the Williamstown Art Conservation Center in Massachusetts, one of the top art conservation labs in the country.
The Old Black Rock Harbor Mural restoration was made possible with support from Bank of America, the Black Rock Community Council, Bruce and Michele Hubler, Jack and Kay Collins, Ronald Marshall, Dennis Boyd, Alan and Judith Goldbecker, Ellen Gould, Dr. Christopher Joy and Cathy Velenchik, Tom and Dawn Kreitler, John W. and Ann S. Watkins, and many generous individuals.